12.23.2008

down me hands

I went to a party Friday night. NO, not one of those crazy wild college parties, more of a get together of people who were on my forensics team last year… combined with people from the team this year. Everyone looked great, cheery and Christmas-y, in good spirits. Many of us hadn’t seen each other in some time! As I sat talking with G, I noticed her Necklace, two silver keys on a chain. She went on to tell me that it was somewhat of a family ere loom. Passed down from girl to girl in the family, and now her.

Thing I have taken for granted number 20
HAND ME DOWNS

I can’t deny that I LIKE getting new stuff. It’s human nature. BUT some of the best things I have ever gotten in my life, once belonged to someone else. T-shirts, sweatshirts, necklaces. I LOVE things that have a history to them. That’s why I never want to build my own house. I want to move in somewhere that has a story behind it. A place that is above and beyond just MY existence. Christmas is kind of the Holiday of new things… but the best gift I’ve received was not new at all. When I was little, my mom had this ring that was give to her by my dad. It’s called a star sapphire. I used to LOVE looking at it. My mom would tell me that it started out as a regular sapphire, and that my dad had reached up in the sky and put a star in it for her. I LOVED hearing that story. I would ask all the time, just to hear it. And a couple years ago, my mom and dad had that very ring resized to fit my finger. It’s probably my favorite piece of jewelry, or favorite anything for that matter.
So cherish those things that didn’t come right for the warehouse to your home. Those are the things that make life interesting…. That make life special.

peace.love.happiness.

No comments: