12.08.2008

OTH.. you might want to read the WHOLE thing first...

If you don't know this already, I am addicted to One Tree Hill! While I wouldn't go as far as to say it was actually a GOOD show (totally incomparable to HOUSE, the early CSI years, the early ER years, etc) it is my "drug" of choice. Anyway, I am very involved and invested in the characters, and the Peyton-Lucas love cycle, the Brooke fiasco's, the Deb and/or Dan psychotic episodes... and the list goes on. 

Now I know what you're thinking, One Tree Hill, seriously, that's what she chose to write that she takes for granted?? Well, insert name here, it's a little bit more complicated than that. 

Thing I have taken for granted number 8:
One Tree Hill, in a round about kind of way. 

First point to be made, when I moved out of my house for the first time this past fall, it took exactly one hour, maybe less, for me to start missing it and my family. I had very few friends, no cable, stolen internet, little food, and worst of all - no dog :(  So I logged onto my computer, stole some internet, and watched old episodes of One Tree Hill. OTH was my very best friend for a good two weeks. Of course, at the rate I was watching them, the number of episodes left to watch dwindled very quickly. 

Now that I have adjusted... a little bit... to life away from home, and found a good balance to keep me happy, One Tree Hill has begun to do some other favors for me, ooo la la. ;)  Since the show started on September 23, 2003 OTH has been known for featuring new, up and coming bands as well as solo artists. Would anyone else know who Kate Voegele was if she hadn't first played Mia?? If your song is played in a OTH episode, your record sales are probably going to sky rocket the next day, or more relevantly - iTunes downloads. 
Getting to my point, I don't feel very well tonight, and I have finals in the morning and it is stressing me out big time. So what did my mom suggest? Listen to some music. It was then that it occurred to me that 75% f the songs on my "chill out" mix are from One Tree Hill. Less popular songs from Jimmy Eat World, The Replacements, Stereophonics, The Weepies, and MY current number 1, Angels and Airwaves. Angels and Airwaves was the big talk from the USO show episode. Initially I was very annoyed with the main singers rhyming patters.... but found myself hooked on the song soon after. So I looked at a couple more, and a couple more... and finally their whole CD. They are an AWESOME group, and I hope they come to tour here soon! 
Getting closer to my point, music has an AMAZING ability to help us when we are at our worst. A simple song can change our mood, emotions, feelings, and so on. I've been listening to my songs since I started this blog, and already I feel much better and am not freaking out like I was thirty minutes go, when my AWESOME mom called me to tell me to snap out of it (in much kinder words... and without the Cher Slap.) So by now, you know what One Tree Hill has to do with all of this, and I guess what I am truly thankful for, and take for granted, is Music in general. 
Next time your get in your car, try turning off the radio and have complete silence.... it SUCKS! I take it back, don't try it because it's just plain depressing! 

Now go listen to some Christmas music, have a cup of hot chocolate (or as my nephew pronounces it haht tchawkwit) and have a Merry Night. 

peace.love.happiness. 

No comments: