12.22.2008

Solomente!

Alone time. Everyone needs it, but not everyone gets it. For new parents, it is a precious commodity. Being back in a house with 4 adults and 1 three year old, it’s interesting to see that I didn’t really realize how much is going on in a house that big. I guess I was so used to always having so many people around. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE having a lot going on, and it got pretty lonely in my apartment this past semester, BUT it’s weird coming back into a life of… tamed down chaos. On my later days for school, my alarm was what woke me up, but in the U house, it’s R’s little feet pounding in the upstairs hallway. And while many people would grunt at this and be annoyed, I find it so comforting. So I’ve been back in my house now for the longest I’ve been at one time since the summer… and I needed some time away.

Thing I have taken for granted number 19
Alone Time

So I find myself here, at Barnes and Nobel, enjoying my Mocha that I purchased with the gift card I’ve had in my wallet for WAY too long. It’s quiet, but not too quiet, and it’s EXACTLY what I need. Being alone is an interesting thing. I try to go several place (a restaurant, a movie, a coffee shop – without a lap top or book to read, etc) a year, COMPLETELY alone. I don’t really tell people because they always somehow feel bad for me. And when I walk in, yes – people look, well STARE is more like it. They ask me if I am waiting for someone and give me a look of pity when I say no. However, going to a public place alone is the best kept secret. Waiters treat you better and give you WAY more undivided attention. Sales people talk to you AFTER trying to sell you something, more people smile, and more people make little comments in passing. Maybe it is just because they feel bad for me. Maybe some people feel less threatened by a person alone, because I don’t have anyone to judge them with when they walk away. Whatever the case may be… I think it’s really healthy to go out, and be alone somewhere. Show the world your independence! LEAVE your comfort zone. Make being alone a personal CHOICE, so that when you are forced to be alone – you can cope and turn your loneliness into happiness.

An you’ll be amazed that it will help you enjoy being around other people THAT much more.

peace.love.happiness.

No comments: