12.15.2008

sthgil samtsirhc

As promised, writing my BLOG earlier! 

So I went out to lunch today with an old friend... that ended up lasting until dinner. But as I was sitting there, I noticed how it was decorated. With a little Christmas Tree, lights, ornaments, holiday signs.... And as we talked, I thought about how comforting these lights were, the decorations.... 

Thing I have taken for granted number 15
Christmas Decorations

I remember one year I was sick for just a day during the holiday season. It must have been before we got out for break, because I missed school. I had fallen asleep on the "sick bed" aka the couch in my font room, and when I woke up it was dark outside, but it was probably only 5 o'clock. As I opened my eyes, I saw the Christmas tree in the corner, with all of it's colorful, bright lights shining. I just remember that moment, how special I felt, how comfortable and warm, how much better I felt from the morning. That memory always comes back to my mind when I see lights and trees. They comfort me in a unique kind of way. 

A few years later I got really sick during the week before Christmas break. I had stomach pains like I had never had before, and I literally cried every morning when I had to leave for school. We had no idea what was wrong with me, and it took a lot out of me. I was so little and was so skinny when I was young, and not wanting to eat was bad news. We found out later that it was only Lactose Intolerance, which was a blessing compared to other things it could have been, but when I was sick and didn't know, the Christmas Tree and the lights on the railing always made me feel so much better. It took my mind off of my stomach. I felt kind of like the lights had some magic healing power. That they radiated some medicine for my stomach, or something. I knew that it didn't really.... but the feeling just seemed to magical. And to this day, it makes me sad when we turn the tree off for the night, when we pack it up for the season... 

So trust me, Christmas lights ARE magical! Just stare at the tree and TRY to keep from feeling happy... or smiling...  you can't. Now go turn on your tree and be MERRY!!


peace.love.happiness. 


ps: can you figure out what the title of this blog means??

1 comment:

Lauren Grace said...

christmas lights.
knew it right away.

i win!