12.02.2008

What's cooking good lookin?

Thing I have taken for granted number two:
A home cooked meal!! Tonight I had some of my family over for dinner (and really missed the others!!). I cooked dinner myself. And although I didn't make a fancy meal or even something difficult, I was very nervous! Is is good? Is anything over done, under done? Did I put too much of this, too little of that? And here I was only cooking for my family, who would grin and bare it not matter how bad it tasted... well maybe not my brother... but I'm sure SOMEWHERE deep down, he would appreciate it. But maybe it was MORE important because it was the people I love. I wanted to impress them on a much more personal level than anyone else I know. As I prepared dinner, I thought of my mom. Who, by my calculations, has probably cooked about 11,000 meals in her adult life. (probably more.) And all the times I complained, letting her know that I thought it was "yucky" or "ewwie" Although it was probably just that I didn't like the taste, and wouldn't have liked it even if a gourmet chef made it.... I wonder if it hurt her feelings. Or after a while did she just get so used to it, it stopped? And either way, it makes me sad. Even the most simple meal takes work... even going to pick up takeout takes time... and here I was nearly every night... ungrateful. And now tonight, my mom sat at MY dinner table, eating the meal I prepared... and although she could have gotten back at me.... she assured me countless times that it was "amazing" and "excellent." She even helped me with the dishes - which I doubt I did very often. 

So there it is...
Don't underestimate a home cooked meal, and if you can - get out to a homeless shelter this season, or donate canned goods. Spread the cheer with food for those who can't afford it themselves. 

peace. love. happiness.  

No comments: