12.04.2008

Something we should ALL be thankful for ALL the time

I was doing some Christmas shopping at WalMart today. I'm still not used to the WalMart here, so of course I have to go up and down every aisle to make sure I get what I need. However, loving walmart the way I do... I don't mind spending a little extra time there. I was quite impressed too, because I didn't even have to wait in a check out line... which is unheard of during the holiday season. After I got everything on my list, I went to the little girls department, to look around for  a present for my gorgeous niece. (whom everyone says looks exactly like me... so did i just compliment myself?) As I held up a top, analyzing it a little too much... I heard a voice. He said with a chuckle, "Well that top would look just fine on you." I turned to find a man, probably in his late 60's. And then I stood there for that awkward moment, you know - when you're not sure if it was just a comment in passing or the start of a conversation. After a few seconds, I decided that in the holiday spirit - I would start the conversation. I asked him if he had children and grandchildren and his face lit up like nothing I had ever seen before. He told me how much he enjoyed shopping for them - more so when they were little kids -  now it was just too hard to follow what they liked. I gave him my insight on some computer games I thought they might like. As he was informing me of not knowing anything about computers, I noticed he wore a hat. On it was a patch that said "Veteran of the United States Army." 

Thing I have taken for granted for too long number 4:
Our service men and women (which is sad, considering my brother-in-law IS a veteran)

As he was beginning to thank me for the suggestions on the computer games, I was amazed at how someone who risked his life for the country I hold so dear -  who deserves to be treated with the utmost respect - was so gracious and thankful to ME... for suggesting computer games. These people, these men and women.... are of a different breed. I stopped him as he turned to walk to the electronics' section, and told him how thankful I was for him and what he did for me, my family, my friends, and our country. He looked at me, smiled and said "you are most welcome." and added, "Well I better go find my better half." 

I am so thankful for our service men and women. You have a place in my home, a place at my dinner table, and most importantly -  a place in my heart. THANK YOU!

peace.love.happiness. 

1 comment:

Lauren Grace said...

for real. i teared up when i read this.